Saturday, 14 May 2016

Klamath to Medocino: Redwoods and Coastline

Another day hugging the coast on Highway 101 from Klamath down to Legget, then taking Highway 1 Mendocino.

First stop was Redwood National Park for the famous giant cedars and then along the coast. The change in seascapes was spectacular. Compare Gold Bluff Beach to the lookout over the cliffs, just a hundred or so kilometers south. The whole palette shifts from blue and green to orange and  yellow.

Mendocino, where we stayed the night, was odd. I was expecting just a small town just south of Fort Bragg but it turns out that this must be some sort of bespoke, artisan retreat for treechangers. It's all very Maleny, with no Woolworths and more Aston Martins. The stay in the vintage Mendocino Hotel & Gardens (apparently a former saloon) was, um, quaint. Actually... I really enjoyed it.

Hmm... just noticed that these images are all a bit dark. Beware editing photos under dim light in an old saloon lobby.

Gold Bluff Beach: coastline at Redwood National Park
Redwoods: from the Trillian Falls Trail
Trillian Falls: that I didn't fall into.
Out of the woods: south of Klamath and Orick on highway 101 are many miles of twisting forest road. The moment we broke out into the sunshine, this was round the first bend. 
Mendocino, CA: at the end of the day we pulled into the odd little village of Mendocino. It reminded me of Maleny, QLD, with its captive audience, craft shops, quaint hotels and organic options. It's not what I thought it would be, but then I was mostly there for the sunset. Dick's Place was the highlight.
Sunset: and here I was thinking I wasn't going to get any dramatic clouds this evening.
Surf: waves on the base of the cliffs.
Flowers and Surf: these were growing all over the cliffs in the most precarious places.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Sniffy... I have to admit, you have me at a disadvantage as I don't recognize you handle!

    As for Pixel Shift, I have used it for a few images on this trip and intend to get the ol'Pentax utility out when I return. None of these are really finished images. Just quick adjustments in lightroom on the laptop in the hotel room:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Sniffy... I have to admit, you have me at a disadvantage as I don't recognize you handle!

    As for Pixel Shift, I have used it for a few images on this trip and intend to get the ol'Pentax utility out when I return. None of these are really finished images. Just quick adjustments in lightroom on the laptop in the hotel room:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots Rob, my favourite so far. I love the look of the Redwoods.

    ReplyDelete