After the close encounter on day one, our guide took us straight back to Side Bay to look for the bear they almost took, and to stake out the meadow of sea grass once more.
I was a little better prepared photographically, though I still am largely lost when shooting in the woods on the move.
The day involved a lot of patient waiting, but to no avail.
 |
| Timber Road: these are controlled roads that range from fairly good affairs like this, to others that are barely more than thinned- out paths through a thicket. |
 |
| Side Bay Beach: The beach at Side Bay was gorgeous. On this day, it was actually pretty warm. I fitted a wider lens on this trip out, so I was able to shoot the beach. |
 |
| Close Country: given that the tide was in, we had to move through the forest proper to find the meadow. This terrain is incredible; the ground is a mulch of rotting vegetation and fallen timber. navigation is a very three-dimensional affair. |
 |
| Sea Grass Meadow: we killed a few hours in the shade of the far embankment before fording the estuary to this meadow. Lying in the shade for the better part of the afternoon watching bald eagles soar overhead was magic. This is the meadow where Jas nearly stalked a bear the previous day. I lay on that log for another couple of hours while Jason and the guide headed into the woods again to see if they could find where the bear kept its lair. |
 |
| Victoria Lake... I think: It was just about impossible for me to maintain any sense of direction as we drove around the forest trails. We reached this point late in the afternoon after leaving Side Bay, and I am guessing it is Lake Victoria. Or it may be the upper reached of Neroutsos Inlet. Or any number of other places. I have no idea. But it didn't matter, with the sun setting behind us on such a gorgeous day.. |
You know it all sounded like a mad adventure when you said you were going on a bear hunt, but it now seems like a pretty good excuse to wander around a magnificent part of the world. Loving the photos.
ReplyDelete