In some regards, one day is both too much and too little in this place. Too much to simply grab the low hanging fruit at dusk, such as Tunnel View and El Capitan from the valley. Too short to get up on some walks that will take you further afield.
As it was, I split my bets today and went for a quick run around some of the Valley sites, such as Vernal Falls, then go for a site that was recommended to me by an old school mate who now lives in California. The first option was a poor choice, as today was busy even by normal Yosemite weekend standards.
However, Sentinel Dome was as good as its recommendation. It was still busy, but it was a good walk with a fun little climb at the end. I'll let the pictures do the talking.
One thing to note, I took all the required sweeping panoramas but like many sites that have been photographed so well by so many... but my shots looked like just pale imitations. I'll work on them when I get home and see what comes out.
Here are a couple below that hopefully offer some different perspectives.
![]() |
| Horsetail Falls from Sentinel Dome |
![]() |
| Grizzly Peak and Mt Broderick: I think. Anyway, this is me trying to bring out my inner Ansel Adams with an APSC digital camera and Lightroom in a hotel room. |
![]() |
| Horsetail Falls: it was fun to find snow on the top of Sentinel Dome. And to photograph Horsetail Falls. |
![]() |
| Horsetail Falls: again... I couldn't help it... |
![]() |
| Not Half Dome: This is what you see when you don't look at Half Dome and friends from Sentinel Dome. Which is not often. |
![]() |
| A famous dead tree: I could be wrong, but this is the remnant of a famous tree. |






Breath.taken on all. Particularly love the peaks & the dead tree. You invoke Adams well
ReplyDeleteLooks great Rob. I must ask you about the walk up Sentinel Dome when you get back.
ReplyDeleteAnother photography exhibition soon?
ReplyDeletePJ, thinking about it.... but it won't be these:)
ReplyDeletePJ, thinking about it.... but it won't be these:)
ReplyDelete