Wednesday, 11 May 2016

Port Hardy to Portland, and a Reflection

It has been a hectic two days of travelling from Port hardy in the north of Vancouver Island, Canada, to Portland Oregon.

We left the camp at 0930 on Tuesday morning and arrived in Victoria BC reasonably on time at 1730 that evening. On the way, we did a spot of shopping, took an unexpected detour to a little village called Cumberland (we suspect it is the Nimbin of British Columbia) for a coffee and dropping off the car at Victoria.

Unfortunately, it was simply a sleep over in Victoria, though from the tiny bit we saw, I don't think it could have held the attention as Vancouver did. From the hotel this morning, it was straight down to the docks to catch the BC Clipper to Seattle in Washington State.

It was novel to go through the customs process for something other than a plane, and I have to say that it was a good experience. No frills, but we made it from hotel in Canada to hire-car in the US in under four hours. City center to city center. It was less time, less hassle and half the price of flying.

Simply getting out of Seattle was an adventure. We have a huge Ford wankmobile to get us to Seattle and I drew the straw for driving from Seattle to Portland. A few wrong turns in Seattle and an hour and a half of congestion on the five-lane motorway between Seattle and Tacoma was the most non-relaxing aspect of the trip so far. The thought crossed my mind a couple of times that just twenty-four hours previously, I'd been driving through forested, snow capped hills.

But heading in to Portland things changed dramatically. Over these crazy bridges and into (ironically) the South Vancouver section of Portland, we just pulled up in front of the first hotel we came to and booked a room. Then, it was off to the Bridgeport Brewhouse for some beer research.

Now, sitting in the hotel with the most hectic two days of travel behind us, I've had a chance to consider the hunt. It was an extraordinary experience, and I loved every moment of it. I can't remember the last time I spent hours doing nothing but lying on the grass in the sun, miles away from anything, just to mention one highlight.

Even though I was really just tagging along, the guides showed professionalism and patience, and shared a wealth of knowledge. Thanks to Mike for your patience and for taking those small detours for me, and to Taylor for all that advice. And for "Long Gone in Saskatchewan"...

Anyway, on to the photos... I haven't shot much in the last couple of days as I have needed to give the lens a rest. Here are a few images, though.




Parliament House, Victoria: we had an hour before boarding the ferry, so a quick walk gave some interesting sights. I didn't know that Britain swapped Alaska for British Columbia, which had originally been claimed by the Russian Empire. This was before the Russians traded Alaska again to the US.

BC Clipper: this was an interesting way to enter the United States. I love ferries, and this made up for giving up the chance to take a ferry to Prince Rupert. With hindsight, staying with the hunt was certainly the right choice.

Last glimpse: Canada sinks below the horizon.

2 comments:

  1. "It was an extraordinary experience, and I loved every moment of it. I can't remember the last time I spent hours doing nothing but lying on the grass in the sun, miles away from anything, just to mention one highlight."

    I reckon that's holiday achievement unlocked. What a fabulous, unexpected adventure :-)

    As for wrong turns, Jas is a better driver than navigator, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you enjoyed your hunting expedition with Jas. It all sounds very Hemingway to me; I expect you'll be off deep sea fishing next...

    ReplyDelete